Go Back   Ruffrodders > Main Forum > HARDCORE CUSTOMS

HARDCORE CUSTOMS ANYTHING CUSTOM RELATED

Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
grim310

Default Road draft tube to pvc valve question?

Wassup fellow members I'm going to be doing the PVC valve to manifold setup And eliminate the road draft tube. I was wondering what do I do with the hardline coming out of the manifold that goes toward the trannie. Do I just cap it off? I know the setup is for the winshield wipers but I don't need them. Or do I have to run that line to something else becuase of vacum purposes. It's a chevy 235 with a powerglide. Need some other wise minds on this. My first 235 motor. Need to soak in some of your knowledge. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by grim310; 09-13-2009 at 01:59 AM..
grim310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
cruzer48

i saw an artical on that in rod and custom a couple years back but they where doing it on a olds 303 if i find the artical i will post it up ....are u sure that its not a 216 most 216 motors have the top valve cover bolts

vatos locos forever ese
cruzer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
grim310

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer48 View Post
i saw an artical on that in rod and custom a couple years back but they where doing it on a olds 303 if i find the artical i will post it up ....are u sure that its not a 216 most 216 motors have the top valve cover bolts

I think on the 216 motors the side plate goes up to the valve cover and there are spaces for the spark plug to go threw. Mine does not have that. And I think there is a way to check for sure is on the oil pan under the disribator it will say the engine size. Have not checked yet but the guy I bought it from said it was a 235. But I still need to dig in themotor and find out for sure. And thank you I appreciate it
Old 09-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
eddiesixem

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim310 View Post
I think on the 216 motors the side plate goes up to the valve cover and there are spaces for the spark plug to go threw. Mine does not have that. And I think there is a way to check for sure is on the oil pan under the disribator it will say the engine size. Have not checked yet but the guy I bought it from said it was a 235. But I still need to dig in themotor and find out for sure. And thank you I appreciate it
235s came with powerglides and 216s came with manual 3 speeds

If the side cover does not extend to the valve cover, and theres no spark plug holes in that panel then its a 235 almost all of your after market aluminum valve covers made were 2 bolt, and could come with a stud kit so they would fit both 216s and 235s and only have to produce one casting. if you have the small pushrodcover and can see the side of the head where the the spark plugs go into (not part of the cover)then you got a 235

now to find out for sure if you got an earlier or later on , you need to take the casting numbers that are on the side of the block above the starter and go to this website. www.inliners.org to check the year, 53 and up were full pressure blocks and should rate a higher oil presure than an earlier one, usually from 45- 60 psi when cold, so your 30 psi gauge should be peged out when you start the car in the morning. and never really drop under half on your gauge durring operating temps hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by eddiesixem; 09-13-2009 at 04:51 PM..
eddiesixem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
eddiesixem

heres some more pics for reference
and heres a article on pcv instalation on a 235

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D20%26um%3D1

as for the line out of the manifold, that should be to your vacuum controled wipers, you should be able to T it off i would think.

first pic is a 235
second shows the serial number location,
third shows a 216

now the 261 looks just like a 235 but i heard the difference physically on the outside is the old holes in the side of the journals for the oil filters were actually bigger than on a 235 but that i dont know. id use the serial number to find out for sure.
Attached Images

Last edited by eddiesixem; 09-13-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Old 09-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
grim310

thank you eddie and cruzer i appreciate it. i also wanted to know if i dont y the hardline off what do i do with it.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
eddiesixem

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim310 View Post
thank you eddie and cruzer i appreciate it. i also wanted to know if i dont y the hardline off what do i do with it.
should be able to disconnect it from the switch some how, if not theres always a tubing cutter, but youll have to run vacuum hose if you ever want your wipers to work again on vacuum
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
ford.slaughter

good info.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
squigy

sorry eddiesix but my 51 Chevy,216 has a powerglide behind it.I think 51 was the first year for the powerslide.
squigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
eddiesixem

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigy View Post
sorry eddiesix but my 51 Chevy,216 has a powerglide behind it.I think 51 was the first year for the powerslide.

must have been a motor swap at some point or for some reason a special order from the factory, 1950 was the first year for the powerfglide (chevrolets first fully automatic transmission) and they ran the 235s with a higher compression head along with the bigger cubic inches to make up for the slower off the line two speed powerglide,(power glide head casting 848) compaired to the 3 speed saginaw,
the power glide was still a full 2 seconds slower from 0-65 i believe the factory clocked it at 21 seconds as opposed to the 19 seconds of the 3 speed? could be wrong about the clocking times but i have done some research on these old 49-54 chevys. and thats what all the research ive done has told me any ways.

Last edited by eddiesixem; 09-16-2009 at 09:41 PM..